Being a GlutenFree Vegetarian can be rough

Life sure is interesting!  If only I was given a map at birth that highlighted what I would expect to see as I got older; then I think I might have prepared for what was ahead of me...well maybe.  I sure didn't see the diagnosis of Celiac Sprue that hit me in early January 2006.  In fact, I had no idea what Celiac Sprue was and told my cancer doctor (I see him yearly and that is another blog) that he was crazee as this bannock loving Ojibwe womyn wasn't so sure about giving up her loving ways when it came to food.  Oh little did I know!

In the first two weeks of my diagnosis I only ate apples and potatoes (yes, it is true!).  It took me about two weeks to figure out and research and digest (pun intended) what my cancer doctor discovered was the reason for my low iron and bleeding.  How he figured it out from my symptoms that I needed to get my colon checked, I have no idea. Yet because he was on the ball and arranged for my colonoscopy, my life was never the same again.  If only I had chosen the blue pill instead of the red pill (reference to the Matrix movie where you pick the blue pill and go back to not knowing - I think its the blue pill?red?) and went about life blissfully ignoring the reality that was around me, if only!

A few weeks after my diagnosis I was referred to a dietitian at the hospital for some extra help on what to do but that didn't pan out so well as I knew more than she did (I have excellent research skills; well more than she had at that moment).  I left feeling frustrated at the whole diagnosis and the dietitian's inability to help me any more than I had done myself.  So back to the drawing wheel (is there such a thing?) I went and set about locating gluten free items that I could eat and share with my kids. Let me tell you, back in 2006 there was hardly any gluten free food, baking items, etc., and what there was was totally gross and tasted of card board.  I don't know if card board tastes any better, but I am sure with ketchup and some mustard it would have! Thank goodness 2014 came out with some awesome alternatives to the card board gluten free food!  

Gluten free food costs more than what people deem "normal" food and the processed gluten free foods tend to be high in carbs, so in the beginning of my diagnosis I ended up gaining weight while eating gluten free.  Weighing it at my heaviest of 200lbs (not telling you what year that was) I decided enough was enough and went back to researching gluten free and what could I do to lower my carb intake.  With the help of a friend who is a personal trainer, I got back on track with my running and exercise and started eating clean and gluten free.  I took it further in the past year to vegetarian (veggies and fruit are naturally clean eating and gluten free) and in only moose meat, deer meat, bison, and fish and eliminating milk and mild by-products and eggs.  I am almost vegan except that I incorporate the wild meat that I would have eaten hundreds of years ago before the "normal" food came along.  I use only maple syrup or honey for baking and have eliminated any processed food by cooking and baking my own food from scratch.  Sure, it takes a bit longer, but I know what is going into my body.  After 8 years of being gluten free (mind you I have had some "gluten" attacks because I took a chance or two) and two years eating clean,  I can honestly say my body is in the best shape it has ever been (inside and out).

What I find the most difficult of all with my way of living is the fact that those around me find me "strange", "off the wall" and a little to healthy for them.  Ha! They act like I am the golden angel of health and because I am, when I eat with them, they tend to either change their eating habits when I am around or tell me they eat better, really they do.  OMG!!  I am not the police of healthy eating but they act that way around me and it drives me insane. Only if I am asked do I provide an opinion, but usually they get offended when I tell them what they don't want to hear so I have stopped doing it unless they pay me to do it.  Life is rough when your chums don't want to be around you because you eat well and exercise.  

Living on the reserve is another challenge as the majority of food that is present at feasts, gatherings, wakes are starchy carbs and meat coated in starchy carbs.  I always have to bring my own food as I can never guarantee that I will get to eat at the functions. Oh sure they have salad but that is usually coated in dressing that isn't gluten free and who the hell wants to eat salads all the time!  Yep, eating clean and gluten free is tough but adding in vegetarian on reserve....well HOWAH!!  Still, it is only rough as I am not considered part of the norm and that I can't help worry at what people are putting into their bodies.  Being diagnosed with Celiac Sprue was a gift as it changed me not only from the inside but the outside as well.  I have become more resilient and determined to live a good life and when asked to share my knowledge of my gift, that makes me all the more humble to be part of the great circle we live within.  No longer a bannock lover, just a lover....lol

Carrianne  

Comments

Popular Posts