Biting the bullet and a recipe to boot!

I am not sure where the term "biting the bullet" came from, but it lends itself well to what I am going to say at this moment; I bit the bullet and went plant based (vegan) over a month ago.  It wasn't as difficult as I thought, and perhaps the movement to vegetarian first before becoming vegan (plant based) allowed me to move more gracefully into this way of life...perhaps. And every once in a while I miss moose meat and fish and think crazee about just having a bit, then I remember that I feel so much better without it and I move on.  

I usually get the craving to eat stuff I cannot if a family member is eating that food right in front of me and then I get delusional and wishful.  I wish that I could be normal and eat like others but then the delusional part comes where I pretend for a second in my mind that I am normal, which I am not....lol  I am then good to go on with my merry life of being different than the rest of the pack; oh the joys of it all!

One of my favourite recipes when I get wishful and delusional is my navy bean taco.  I suppose it is not like a real taco, but it ranks up there with it.

I first get some navy beans and soak them overnight.  Depending on how many beans you want, you can either use the whole bag or half.  I use the whole bag as I love beans.  Beans are high in protein and fibre which we need (okay I need).  As a runner, I need a bit more protein than the average couch surfer so I stock up on beans.  You don't have to, but it is much more cheaper than buying meat.  No, no, I am not trying to convert you, just making a suggestion...lol

Anyway, I use my crock pot to cook the beans after I have soaked them overnight.  Make sure you rinse the beans first before you put them in the crock pot as that gets rid of some of the gas. I put enough water in it to be just on top of the beans.   I add in onions at the beginning.  I chop them up and pop them into the crock pot.  I cook it on high and check it periodically to see if they are getting soft.  When they are still a bit hard, I add in some maple syrup.  Yep.  I add about 1/4 cup and then put the lid back on the crock pot to continue cooking until soft. 

Once soft, I let sit for a bit.  They should be a bit brown from the maple syrup. ....mmm.  I then grab a teff wrap - my go to is from LaTortilla Factory- it is gluten free.  I am not sure it is vegan though.  If I want to make sure, I make my own using instant corn masa mix where I just add water and roll out wraps on wax paper then cook in a lightly oiled frying pan. 

When everything is done, I spoon the beans around the wrap and have a awesome bean taco!  I also add in some spinach to give it that extra mmm.  Yep, this is one of my go to foods when everyone else is eating their meat around me.  It is so good that my son prefers to eat it rather than a meat taco (unless it is a moose meat taco).  I hope you enjoy it, so simple but awesome!  I don't have a picture of it, but I do have one of me eating...lol 

In good thoughts, 

Carrianne


Comments

Popular Posts